Stone Memorial High School
Board Policy 6.200
Absences shall be classified as either excused or unexcused as determined by the principal or his/her designee. Excused absences shall include:
1. Personal illness;
2. Illness of immediate family member;
3. Death in the family;
4. Extreme weather conditions;
5. Recognize religious observances;
6. Failure of school bus to make scheduled/snow routines;
7. Appointments with doctor or dentist;
8. A one-day absence is provided for students when their parent or custodian is deployed into active military service;
9. One day absence is provided for students when their parent or custodian returns from active military service;
10. Circumstances which in the judgment of the principal create emergencies over which the student has no control or which involve an educational opportunity not otherwise available to the child. Absences in excess of 3 days shall require the approval of the principal or his/her designee. The principal may clarify doubtful absences with the attendance teacher.
11. A maximum of five (5) per semester will be recognized as excused absence with parent notes.
12. Up to two (2) days for exam exemptions.
Student attendance records shall be given the same level of confidentiality as other student records. Only authorized school officials with legitimate educational purposes may have access to student information without consent of the student or parent/guardian.
Request for student to attend school in adjoining counties shall be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Truancy is defined as an absence for an entire school day, a major portion of the school day or the major portion of any class, study hall or activity during the school day for which the student is scheduled and early check-out from school.
Students participating in school-sanctioned/sponsored activities whether on or off campus shall not be counted absent. Mass exodus or early dismissal or late arrival of all students will not be permitted for any reason except for emergencies such as inclement weather or other unavoidable situations.
All missed class work or tests (whether from excused or unexcused absences) may be made up if the student makes the request immediately upon returning to school and if class time is not taken from other students.
Every time you are absent, you must bring an excuse to the attendance office within five (5) days. The note should include:
Date and reason for absence
Phone number where your parent/guardian may be reached
Your parent/guardian’s signature
If you have five (5) unexcused absences, the school is required to turn your name in to the Attendance Teacher, who may refer you to the Truancy Board and juvenile court for action.
If, for medical reasons, you must be absent ten (10) days or more at a time, it is advisable that you consider temporary Homebound assignment.Contact the Attendance Office for information on Homebound Assignment.
Check Out Policy
Students cannot check out to go to lunch or to work.
The only way to leave campus during the school day without disciplinary action is by following the check-out procedures set by the Attendance Office. Check out procedures:
1 – Be signed out at the Attendance Office by a parent or legal guardian in person (PHONE CHECKOUTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED)
2 – OR, bring a note, * signed by the parent or legal guardian, that has
Your full name
The reason you need to check out
The date and time you need to check out
A phone number where your parent/legal guardian can be reached for confirmation (All notes must be verifiable)
*All notes must be turned in before first period on the day you plan to check out.
Remember . . . you must be in class at least 1 hour to be counted present for that class.
If you become sick at school you must obtain a pass and go to the nurses office.